Welcome to Drag City News

Here's a breif history of what Drag City News was and is now. It was a newspaper started back in 1976 by then Farmington Dragway track operators Jim Turner and Jerry Joyce to PROMOTE racing at Farmington, but to also give their racers extra exposure to the world. Enter Norman Drouilard, Sr, with out his connections in the newspaper printing world, there wouldn't have been a DCN. Again it featured Race Results, Up coming events and features on racers ...but most importantly it had PICTURES. Later I brought it back to life PROMOTING the Carolina Coalition. Like everything else in this world it has gone to computers. There quicker to update and don't cost as much to do. BUT there is still nothing like seeing pictures in news print. What I hope to do here is bring back a little of that past and mix it with todays modern blog.

I want to go back it time, but not get stuck there. I want to keep a posting on local track races, race results and it's racers. Bascicly have a daily newspaper for anyone interested in the world of drag racing.

Thanks,

Mark Joyce

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Remember November

 I remember November not for the change of the weather, but because I lost the greatest dad anyone could have ever had…..Jerry Joyce. Born November 15, 1936, my dad also passed away in November on the 25th, 1986. Even twenty five years later I  miss him like it was just yesterday we lost him, his memory and how he loved drag racing and it’s people is what lives in my heart.
 That’s one of the reasons I wanted to start the Jerry & Norman’s LEGENDS of the Farm weekend to honor the memory of my dad and his partner Norman Drouillard, Sr. When my dad passed away, he and Norman had just purchased the Farm. See, they had been renting it since 1976 from Stonestreet and Wilson. These two together started a lot of Farmington traditions we have today. The Big 5 second Shootout, Dollars day race & Flea Market, first weekly drag racing point series in this area and tons of special show, classes and promotions. My favorite was our own track newspaper the Drag City News. This especially was a passion with my dad, wanting to spread the results and coming events that happened at the Farm for its racers and fans.
 Again the Farm has gone through its third ownership change it just the last eight years. I think with positive feedback to the new ownership from the racers and fans we may see a return to some of the ways that made FarmingtonFarmington. Yes, Times are a whole lot different now than they was some twenty five years ago, but the basics of drag racing still remain the same. Have a happy and save Thanksgiving and remember November.

No comments:

Post a Comment